A classic racer
Andreas Haubold and his crew has achieved impressive results.
The International 6mR Class is synonymous to classic racing yachts. Meter classes are contruction classes, meaning that the boats are not identical but are all designed to meet a specific measurement formula, in this case The International Rule. At their heyday, 6mR were the most important international Olympic racing class, and they are still actively raced around the world.
The Class has undergone a renaissance with many old yachts being restored or rebuilt. Within the Elvstrøm Sails network Andreas Haubold from our SailPoint in Berlin has indeed proven with "LILLEVI", an 76 (!) year old Lady - designed by the famous meter class designer Zake Westin - that this classic boat is still going strong. After finishing 6th in the 6mR-worlds last year in Flensburg, this summer season Andreas and his crew has taken part in 7 classic races and with impressive results:
- Max Oertz Preis, Berlin 2. place, 52 participants
- Robbe & Berking Sterling Cup, Flensburg 4 x 1. places, Overall 1. place
- Classic Week, Kiel 2. place
- Kaiser Pokal, Berlin 1. place
- Ferienregatta, Berlin 1. place, 93 participants
- Clubregatta PYC, Berlin 4 x 1. places, 53 participants
- Ringalnatz Cup, Berlin 1. place, 83 participants (six of these yardstick races)
“I´ve been in yacht business for more than 33 years and have followed the development closely, being a passionate sailor myself. Today it is great to see these old, but beautiful boats with new and modern lightweight sails doing so great. As for "LILLEVI" the EPEX sail has certainly stood the test. The challenge for the coming season is the 6mR worlds in La Trinitè in France, but we feel perfectly equipped with our EPEX Film/Film sails with Carbon/Technora bearing surface,” Andreas winds up.